20 November 2015

"Why are you complaining? You've known this from the start. You've checked the weather and everything."
"Well, I haven't thought they would give an accurate prediction."
"Looks like they've improved their technology. Next time you should believe them."
"Well, next time I won't check the weather at all. Now, what shall we do?"
"We wait for the rain to stop. We have a tasty lunch in here and I will write my story. Why don't you watch TV or read one of your magazines?"
"I don't feel like it. Let's eat."
They sat down at the round table, reading the menu.
"Can you find a menu in a language we understand?"
"Sorry, I picked up the one at hand. I didn't know it was in German. Let's see. Ah, there's one in English."
"Great."
"What are you doing?"
"Writing..."
"We are having lunch! Can you let that thing aside for half an hour?"
"And what am I going to do? Talk to you? At the moment I'd rather do anything else but that."
"And you are saying everything just like that..."
"Sorry, there's no other way."
"Ok, then. Have lunch by yourself."
"Where are you going?"
"Away. Maybe I'll come back later for my luggage. If not, take it home."
She put on the jacket, took the umbrella and left. It had been raining heavily since morning, so the pavement looked like a flowing river. "Nice day for a walk. I need some rubber boots." People were looking for a place to hide from the showers falling out from the sky, but she was heading towards the big tower on the left. She remembered a restaurant in that area that she thought she had seen the other day. Unfortunately, there was only a cafe. She opened the door and looked around. There were two empty tables, one by a window and another one next to it.
"Would you like a table, miss?"
"Yes. The one by the window, please."
"How many persons?"
"Just one."
"Ok, here is the menu."
"Thank you. And, please, take the ashtray. I stopped smoking some time ago."
"That's what they all say."
"What's up with you?"
"Nothing... What shall I bring you?"
"A coffee for now. Thank you."
Nothing to eat, except peanuts. She placed her phone on the table and leaned against the back of the chair. No one was passing by. The gallery opposite the cafe was empty. A woman was getting ready to close her gift shop. She looked at her phone. It wasn't ringing. She contemplated calling him, but changed her mind. She covered her face with her hands.
"Would you like some napkins with your coffee? I can bring you a box."
"No, thanks. I'd like you to leave me alone."
"Fine, but I'm sure you can get over anything that is bothering you."
"If I want your input on anything, I'll ask for it."
"You don't have to be so grouchy. It's just rain, it'll stop tomorrow."
"I'm leaving tonight. In fact, I'm leaving right now. Have a nice day."
"Have a..."
She flipped a coin and opened the door. "Heads. I'll go left." A few steps later, her clothes were wet and she couldn't keep her eyes open as the rain was pouring on her face.
"Chris, I've found this at the table by the window."
"It's hers. Shall I go after her?"

No comments:

Post a Comment