11 July 2013

"Sometimes, when I am walking down a street, I usually watch the architecture of the houses or the colour of their facade and I think of our house and how I would like it to be."
"Really, is that what you do? I don't give a damn about it. I just walk on without any interest in anything. Maybe just the destination and the shortest route there."
Their conversation continued as they were waiting for the green light. It was 8 o'clock in the morning and they were both going to work. Suddenly, they saw someone running like a professional athlete on the tram tracks. He was wearing the uniform every man wore to work, black suit and tie. No shoes, though.
"What is he doing?"
"I have no idea. Let's turn on the radio and listen to the news."
"I doubt they'll comment on this. The green light's on. Let's follow him."
"Are you nuts? I'll be late for work the third time this week. I can't afford that."
However, they followed the runner with their eyes, almost crossing the other lane when a horn scratched their ears.
"Pay attention to the road!"
"I was following him. Didn't you say that?"
They took a deep breath and calmed down, but didn't stop watching the runner. Their car was moving slowly on the road, disturbing the traffic. The other cars were passing by, with the drivers half out of the window trying to make themselves heard by the two persons that seemed to be focused on anything else but the road. They went on, after that man, until the next junction. He stopped in the middle of the road and rested for two minutes.
"Hey, are you alright?"
"Yes, I have just quit my job and I have felt like running a little."
"Congratulations. What are you going to do next?"
"I don't know... I really don't."
"Are you sure you're alright?"
"Yes."
"Wow, maybe I should do that too."
"Run in your suit, barefooted?"
"No, not that. Quit my job, not go to work anymore, do something else, never see their faces ever again."
"I'm worried now. Are you alright? You seem like hundreds of miles away from here. Where are you?"
"I can't tell you now. Ask me again during lunch break."


No comments:

Post a Comment